Giving Life My All

Giving all of myself to everything in my life… God, my family, my health, my mind. This is my story… my ups and downs, struggles and triumphs.

My Littlest Love is Turning One!

on March 27, 2015

Should’ve posted this last Thursday….


One year ago today, I was sitting around my house, trying to keep up on my normal house chores and take care of Cayden, but all I could focus on were the slow repetitive contractions that seemed to be lingering in my abdomen… never getting stronger, never growing closer together… just lingering at a 4 or 5 on the 10 point pain scale and at 10-15 minutes apart.  I was trying my hardest to rub my special mixed essential oil lotion all over my belly to keep the contractions going and maybe strengthen them and bring them closer together.

At around 7 pm, I decided to Skype with my mom over in CT to tell her that I was pretty sure I was in labor and had been most of the day.  Throughout the hour or so that I talked to her, the contractions finally started strengthening and getting closer together.  She looked at me (over the computer screen) and said that I was definitely in labor, would probably be having a baby by the next day, and that I should head to bed to get as much sleep as possible because I was going to need all the strength I had over the next 24 hours.

After getting off of Skype with her, I continued to keep track of my contractions as they continued to increase in strength… starting at a 6 when Skyping with my mom and ending at a 7 when I decided to call it a night at 11.  From 11 pm to 12:30 am, my pain skyrocketed to a 9 and my contractions were just 1 1/2 to 2 minutes apart.  I decided that since the pain was too strong and I wasn’t getting any sleep, I should probably get to the hospital because there was no predicting how long my active labor would last.  Thankfully, my sister, Nicole, slept over knowing that I was going to be induced early the next morning.  She was able to watch Cayden while Greg went with me to the hospital.

So at 1:00 am, I finally woke Greg up out of his deep sleep.  He grabbed all of our hospital bags, threw on some comfy clothes, and helped me hobble to the car.  We were at the hospital by about 1:45, was checked in by 2, and had all of my vitals checked and IVs in by 2:30 am.  At about 3 or 4, I gave in to the pain and got my epidural.  My water broke on its own around 6… and just 3 hours later, I was fully dilated and ready to push.

My doctor came in at 8:45 am to check on me… it was the first time I saw her the entire time since I had been admitted.  She told me that I could try to push now or I could hold off until after she performed a surgery at 9:15.  I told her that I could wait since I didn’t feel the urge to push at that moment.  She turned to leave the room, I rolled over onto my side and all of a sudden felt an extreme need to push.  We called her back into the room and told her I wanted to give it a try.  I gave 3 good pushes to see if I was ready… my doctor said, “oh yeah, we could have a baby in the next 15 minutes.  Let’s have a baby!”  I said, “But what about your surgery, I don’t want to keep you from a surgery.”  She said, “Don’t worry.  I’m pretty sure I’m still going to be able to make the surgery.  Ready?”  She brought over a mirror, after asking me if I wanted one, so that I could see the progress.  Yes, some might think this is gross but it was actually pretty amazing.  I was able to actually watch my baby being born and watch the progress I was making.  It was so encouraging to know that my pushing was getting me somewhere since I couldn’t feel it due to the epidural.  As the baby’s head and neck made its way out, my doctor noticed that the umbilical cord was wrapped around him.  She sounded very nonchalant and cool when telling us about it… not nervous at all.  I trusted her that he would be okay.  The rest of his body came out, she quickly untangled the cord from his neck and stomach, and she put him on my chest.  He was blue in color and I’m pretty sure those were my first words about him, if not my first thoughts.  I was so happy to finally have my baby in my arms.  He was breathing just fine and his color was returning to normal.  He was healthy… he was adorable… and he was finally here.


The second thing I noticed after his coloring was that he had 2 adorable dimples in each cheek that came out any time he scrunched up his mouth or smiled.  I was so in love with him… a love that I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to share or have since I felt that Cayden had all of that love.  After taking a moment to soak in my new baby, I said to my doctor, “That was fast.  You can still make it to your surgery, right?”  It was just 9:10 am… took me only about 12 minutes to push the baby out.  She laughed at me, amused that I was still thinking about her surgery.  A couple of minutes later, Greg looked at me while holding the baby.  We decided on naming him Liam Thomas honoring both sides of our family… Liam stemming from William (Greg’s dad and a long line of Davidsons prior to him) and Thomas for my grandfather who passed away just 2 weeks earlier.  Greg then said to me, “Boy, that was rough.  You sure you want to do this a third time?”  I responded with, “What?  Are you kidding?  That was easy!  Of course I want to do it again!”


I was so unbelievably happy with how my labor and delivery went at IU North and with my doctor.  The entire experience was calming and comfortable.  Even during pushing, I felt calm and peaceful (unlike my first birth experience where I felt like it was complete chaos).  There was only 4 people in the room during the entire time I was pushing… me, Greg, my doctor, and a nurse.  In one word, I would describe my labor with Liam as amazing.  If all of my labors go as well as that one did, I could easily have another 1… maybe 2 children. 🙂

I always try to wrap things up and bring my life journey back to God.  Maybe I read too much into situations and things are all just a coincidence… or maybe it really is God at work.  I had a decently rough pregnancy with Liam.  From about 2 months into being pregnant, I felt a horrible pain right down the middle of my pelvic bone.  It was a sharp pain and got worse with each month.  Anytime I got in and out of my SUV, I felt the pain.  Anytime I moved from side to side in my bed at night, I felt the pain.  Anytime I bent down and stood back up, I felt the pain.  Anytime I tried to take wide strides on the treadmill, I felt the pain.  Anytime I went up the stairs, I felt the pain.  The pain felt like my pelvic bone was ripping in half.  It was bad and I don’t know why I didn’t tell my doctor about it from the start.  Eventually, I looked into what the pain could possibly be and I found out about tearing or stretching of the Pubic Symphysis.  I’m 100% positive that this is what I experienced… although I never officially had it diagnosed with X-rays.  The ligament between the pubic bone is supposed to stretch a bit with pregnancy… but for some women, it stretches beyond a normal range.  There’s also the possibility of re-tearing the ligament if it was torn in a previous trauma.  After looking it all up, I started reading about what could happen during childbirth if you really did have it.  I read about anything from months to years of rehabilitation of the ligament if it fully rips during childbirth.  I read about women who could no longer walk normal… and women who now walk with a cane.  I read about how to try to prevent further ripping by not straining too hard to push out a baby and not pulling your knees up too high when “bearing down.”  I freaked out and for weeks leading up to Liam’s birth, I pictured the worst case scenario.  I forgot to trust in God and forgot that He has ultimate control over everything.  He reminded me on this day.  He reminded me with the easy birth of Liam.  He made sure my labor and delivery were as comfortable as possible.  He made me fall in love with the end result after months of pain and questions.  He eased my fears.  He was there through it all.  I did not fully rip my Pubic Symphysis during childbirth… I’m not walking with a cane… I’m not bed ridden.  I do have some pain in the ligament even a year later.  I tried running about 6 months after giving birth and felt the pain come back with a vengeance.  I learned to ease into my workout routine.  Every now and then, if I push myself too hard with running at a high-speed or I attempt to “lift” too much weight with the Hip Abducter machine, I feel the pain.  I’m praying that I continue to trust in God for future pregnancy #3 and that I know in the end, He will take care of me.

Thank you Lord for Liam Thomas.  Thank you for the healthy but painful pregnancy I endured.  Thank you for the easy and calm delivery of Liam one year ago.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: